Monday, March 3, 2008

Internet surveys

Occasionally I have participated in in surveys on the Internet. I think I have learned my lesson and will do it no longer.

On one survey I was asked to reply as to whether or not I was a diabetic. I answered yes which was a big mistake. Before I even completed the survey I received a phone call asking if I wanted a month's supply of free test strips for my blood sugar meter. I thought while free is free so why not. I told the man exactly what test strips I used and what make meter I used. Well I found out why not. After talking to the gentleman for a period of time he conned me into giving him my Social Security number and the name of my endocrinologist. I should have known better. The next thing I knew I received a package in the mail with a different kind of blood sugar meter and a month's supply of test strips. When I talked to my endocrinologist he said the meter was all the same quality that I could buy at Wal-Mart for eight dollars and there was no way for him to get to his computer to look at my blood sugar readings for the past several months. So I did not use it but before long found out that Medicare had paid for the meter and the test strips except for a copayment which they wanted to Bill to my insurance company. I contacted them on the telephone and told them I did not want the meter or the strips and they said fine, just send them back.

I didn't get around to it right away and the first thing I knew I received another package with test strips for the meter I didn't want to use. I called them again and then again suggested that I return them. But, by that time I found out that Medicare had already paid for them. I decided I could be as unresponsive as they were and told them that I would not give them the name of my insurance company and if they wanted a copayment for these supplies they were out of luck. Then I received another package with another month's supply. These were also billed to Social Security.I decided that if another package came I was simply mark it refused and return it in the mail. I talked to the post office and found out that that's all I had to do to get these returned but I didn't know at first that social security and Medicare were being billed for them.

For a number of months after that I received bills from the company, which I will not name but I wrote them back pointing out that I never did order of a meter and that the survey prompted a man to use fraud to get my social security number and doctors name. After a few months they quit billing me but I do not know yet whether this appears on my credit report. I intend to check that soon.

I won't explain how I got hooked into the mystery Guild which is a book club. I made four purchases from them which was what I was required to do but apparently one of the purchases did not qualify because it was not of a sufficient amount. I have now paid them about $150 for hard cover mystery books which I did not want and may never read. I still have to pay for one more book which I hope will be of a large enough cost to fulfill my obligation.

I resolve that never again will I try to gain anything free on the Internet. But so many free things are offered I'm afraid I may be tempted again. Does anyone reading this have a different experience?

1 comment:

Three Score and Ten or more said...

Never give your social to anyone for whom You did not initiate the contact. of course we all know this, but it is easy to slip. Sorry about the mess.

I have limited myself in signing up to the Publisher's Clearing House. All that gets me is spam, and I have a really good spam program.